In Dubai, road injuries are one of the main reasons of death for children and adults. Two out of every three seriously injured children depart this life due to road traffic incidents. Traffic police, road and transport authorities all over the UAE play a significant role in assuring safety and traffic rules and make use of smart technology to reduce traffic violations. It is compulsory to hold on to speed limits set on highways, internal streets, and residential vicinity. The Dubai has a zero-tolerance rule in place with regards to driving under the influence of alcohol.
Driving in Dubai can be a terrifying experience, mainly for those more familiar to drive on small country lanes on contrary to massive 12-lane highways. Dubai Police have disclosed that there have been 1,250 major traffic accidents, 76 deaths and 884 injuries in the first six month of 2018, and whereas this is down from 1,447 accidents the same time in 2017. It helps to think about what one can do to be safer while driving.
Dubai Police have revealed data on which major Dubai roads are believed the most hazardous with Emirates Road categorized at the top of the list with 30 severe accidents and 14 fatalities confirmed in 2018.
In an effort to avoid road accidents and decrease its influence on lives and properties, different government entities in Dubai have taken initiatives and awareness campaigns to reduce the effect of traffic fatalities. Brig Saif Muhair Al Mazroui, director of Traffic Department in Dubai Police, was cited in Gulf News saying that the decrease in road accidents from last year can be credited to an improvement in road security control and the police’s hard work in creating familiarity about traffic rules breach. Hopefully we will observe numbers drop in future and thanks to these policies. Meanwhile drive safe out there. Breaking traffic rules may become the cause of more severe penalty than only a traffic fine, as the loss of life becomes possible. After an statement revealed unexpectedly changing direction is the main reason of accidents in the UAE, here the top five most unsafe roads for drivers has been disclosed.
- According to the Dubai Police Traffic Department, Emirates Road is the most hazardous road in Dubai. The most recent mishap take place on July 16, when Gulf News reported three motorists were killed and eight others were wounded in a traffic accident on Emirates Road. It had the highest number of fatalities in the first half of 2017.
- Mohamed bin Zayed road is the second most risky road - with eight deaths and 72 accidents as per record.
- Sheikh Zayed Road is the third most unsafe - witnessed eight deaths from 69 accidents as per record.
- Dubai-Al Ain road is the fourth most risky - with four deaths and 26 accidents as per record.
- Al Khail road is the fifth most frightening - witnessed three deaths and 34 accidents as per record.